The Devil Wears Prada



Hello! 


I just finished reading "The Devil Wears Prada" and I wanted to share with you this review!






             

                         Note: This review is based solely on the book & NOT the movie



The Devil wears Prada is a magnificent movie obviously. Accentuated mostly by Meryl Streep's amazing performance (as usual) and Anne Hathaway's excellent ability to portray feelings. 

However, I must say I wanted to read this book mostly because I am in love with the movie. And not because I had heard it was a good book per se. 

The book is an interesting comparison to the movie, it is supposedly based off on Anna Wintour's character and the experiences of Lauren Weisberger as her assistant. 

Anna Wintour is of course notably known to have an icy personality with a hunger for extreme demands. The book tells us of an assistant who is forced to do ridiculous demands for her boss who treats her and other employees like they are servants. However, the book fails to catch the reader's attention in its introduction. I felt I was forced to finish it most of the time as it rambled on about fashion more than about the relationship between Miranda Priestly and Andy Sachs. In that way, it was a let down because I expected a similar relationship to what I was accustomed from the movie. Of course, that was me being unbiased. 

But for an outsider reading a story without any prior knowledge from a movie, I feel the book still fails to capture the enigma that is Miranda Priestly and the dorkish personality of Andrea Sachs. I must admit the book was interesting because of Miranda Priestly's ridiculous demands and Andy's thoughts and responses to them. In a way, it was very cool to see the story from the viewpoint of Andy's thoughts in writing instead of acting. 

However, the book felt like it was more about fashion and the mocking of a fashion queen as a form of revenge than an actual story. I found out the book actually has a not-very-well-known sequel as well. However, I don't believe I am inclined to read it at this point. Perhaps I will at another time but for now I rather keep the movie as the real story because it ties up a lot of loose ends and actually focuses on the relationships and not the fashion world. 



For this, I give this book: 



























 

Comments

Popular Posts